Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Things I've learned along the way...


Indonesian mothers and fathers adore their children. It is so apparent in a way that is really hard to describe. It's not so apparent when they stuff one or two kids in between the parents on a motorbike with no helmets…but hey, the love is still there. This is one of the smart mothers here:


Children are either enthralled or frightened by us. We catch kids staring at us all day..Most of the time they smile and laugh and try to speak English to us, and sometimes they just stare back blankly--unsure of how to react to such foreign people.

Mosquitos love my blood way more than Ross'. I wake up with at least 4 new bites daily. Ross warns me not to itch, but I can't help it and I end up looking like I got mauled by a bear.

Beer* is extremely hard to come by in Java-- way more so than Bali. The Muslim nations really do not appreciate a good buzz like most Americans do.

They also don't appreciate a good solid American relationship...One hotel that we stopped by had a rule that a couple could not stay in the same room unless they were married. So, we got married...check out our pics on Flickr.**

People in Indo don't know what a washing machine is, much less how to operate one. They also think charging you obscene amounts to hand wash and then hang dry your clothes is OK. It's not, and we have now learned yet another lesson.

I am the only blonde person, and we are very possibly the only tourists, I've seen since the Aussies in Kuta Beach.

Getting into a lime green, open doored van, sweating profusely with 10 strangers is not only happening on the border of Mexico and the US. It's happening right here in Indonesia, and it's called a taxi.

Fried rice with a fried egg on top is pretty much a staple here. We've eaten this dish countless times, in a dozen different ways- with shrimp, chicken, beef, veggies, spicy, with peanuts, you name it... We even had it for breakfast today. 


I can appreciate the impact of Western culture here in Asia mainly because of the abundance of Dunkin Donuts with free wi-fi. (And you wondered how we got online!)

We're almost positive we are eating MSG with every meal.

One of the accountants I worked with asked me how many times I expected to break up while traveling. Luckily, we haven't gotten there yet (knock on wood!) but we definitely are learning a lot about each other..Everyone said traveling together would make us or break us, and I must say I think it is making us...A little stronger every day & with each new shared experience, and it's definitely making us both better at rolling with the punches.

P.S. Keep your comments and emails coming! I get so excited to open my gmail and have emails from you guys..Today when I checked my email I had some lovely, long email updates of friends' lives and it made me so happy :) Thank you!


*Or any alcohol for that matter
**Just keeeding!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Okay, so you got my heart to skip a beat...saw married.. held my breath-thought "while in Indo..do what the Indos do"--didn't notice the ** until I had read the whole post!So my little joke about finding a flowing river for laundry wasn't that far off base, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post Linds! And I'm glad to hear you and Ross are going strong - nothing tests a relationship like a good ol' trip to SE Asia..right?! I'm so jealous of this amazing experience you two are having...enjoy every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) thank you for the visual of the only blond-haired girl and the giant man surrounded by scared/curious children 2) im sure you're sick of that egg rice, but I WANT THAT 3)i underestimated your patience ;) love uuu & love living vicariously through your adventures! keep em' coming

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linz, and Ross hope you are safe and sound. Sending you this messages is harder than catching a fish. Love you and miss you. Love Dad XOXO

    ReplyDelete